|By Paul Miller||
|November 4, 2009 01:00 PM EST||
Google held a small event in London late last month, at which senior executives from a wide range of organisations gathered to discuss the impact of the Cloud. Presenters included luminaries such as Marc Benioff, Werner Vogels, Geoffrey Moore and Nick Carr, as well as CIOs at the coalface in adopting various Cloud (mainly SaaS) solutions.
Carr blogged on Friday, noting that video from the event has been made available on YouTube, and I’ve been steadily working through the material ever since.
Krish followed up on CloudAve with his take, flagging Carr’s presentation as of particular interest. I liked Carr’s presentation too (although prefer our podcast, as I think he went deeper there), and found much to value in most of the other talks as well.
My particular highlights, I think, were three sessions later in the day;
Paul Cheesbrough (CIO at Telegraph Media Group), Francois Blanc (CIO at Valeo), Todd Pierce (SVP & CIO at Genentech) and Andy Beale (CIO at Guardian Media Group) participated in a panel session (embedded below) to discuss their real-world experiences of rolling Google Apps out across large organisations. The key take-aways? Benefit won’t be recognised across the board until six months in, and Executive Assistants need to be kept on-side as their day-to-day work inside people’s calendars is disrupted… and they’re both ‘loud’ and ‘influential.’
Google’s Dave Girouard covered similar issues from the company’s perspective, and is clearly someone to add to my list of podcast targets.
My final highlight was Geoffrey Moore (he of Core, Context, and Chasms), applying some of his broader business ideas to the Cloud. I’d certainly like to explore some of his arguments a little further another day..
- How to Lie with Data
- DIY Play Dough and Foot/Hand Casts for Kids
- DIY Personal Diffuser and Here’s That Scrapbook Layout!
- I’m Late I’m Late…(As Usual!) Time for Change!
- Get Close….Your Timing Couldn’t Be Better!
- Hello Card -Chalk It Up – New Close To My Heart 2014 Idea Book
- Cropped 2.0 Mystery Box Challenge Event and Classes 2014
- Tues Tut: Scrapbook Layout Speaking Life Over Baby Gradyn
- Cloud Computing Is Far More Than Just Cutting Enterprise IT Costs
- Security and the Cloud
- David Eaves Talks About Vancouver’s Open Data Initiative
- Hewlett Packard: A Tale of Many Clouds
- Tungle Goes a Long Way Toward Reducing the Pain of Scheduling Meetings
- Talking to Simon Wardley About Ubuntu and Cloud Computing
- Not Quite Ready to Live in the Cloud
- Juan Carlos Soto Reaffirms Sun Microsystems’ Commitment to the Cloud
- If Government is a Platform, What Are People Building?
- Keep Your Executive Assistant Happy if Moving to the Cloud
- Is PaaS Dying?
- Discussing Cisco’s Unified Computing System with Wendy Mars